Skip to Main Content
This page is intended for personnel onboarding at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
We welcome your feedback. If you have suggestions for improvement, please let us know!
Value of Medical Librarians
Why do we need Medical Librarians?
- Provide better care;
- Make better decisions;
- Avoid adverse events;
- Save costs / save TIME.
Read more about it here!
On-Site, there are fourteen CAC enabled customer computers and four study tables. There should be a library technician and a librarian available to help, Mon-Fri. We're in building 1, third floor, south wing (left as you get off the central elevators), room 3458.
Online, you'll find ebooks, ejournals, databases, and links to chat with our staff or submit questions / requests: https://wrnmmc.libguides.com/home
Welcome to Walter Reed! The Darnall Medical Library is here for you!
- Bookmark the library page. We're happy to perform searches and assist with article retrieval.
- Sign up for a Remote Access (EZproxy) Account. Please be aware, we verify your WR-B assignment by checking the Global Address List (GAL), so if you haven't updated it, you'll need to do that. Information on how is in our FAQ.
- Check our Mobile Resources page for other apps that may be useful for your specialty.
- If you're here as a resident, intern, or student, ask a member of the library staff about the MilMed app, which offers Walter Reed staff to have access to curated program, service, or department content – including house handbooks, protocols, SOPs, and contact lists..
- When searching, start with our special PubMed LibraryLink. You'll see a purple "Locate@Darnall" button with each citation. Clicking on that button will take you to
- The article, if we have it; OR
- A page where you can request the article via interlibrary loan (works best in Internet Explorer).
- Look at your specialty portal, specifically recommended books and journals. (Don't try to download an entire book, they'll cut off our access.)
- Retrieving a lot of articles from home? You can download a Chrome browser extension called LibKey Nomad to help streamline the process. The extension is currently not approved for DoD computers, but we're requesting approval.
- Have a lot of citations to keep track of? Request EndNote.
- Want to become a library night owl? Request 24/7 access.
- Other questions? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page, our Live Chat service, or Ask the Library.
Contact the Darnall Medical Library (DML)
For WRNNMC Healthcare Providers
For WRNNMC Patients
- TRICARE Appointment Line: 855-227-6331
- Walter Reed NMMC Main Phone: 301-295-4611
- TRICARE Health Services (includes phone numbers)
Researching a Medical Condition?
Click the button below!
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense, Defense Health Agency of non-U.S. Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. Although the Darnall Medical Library, WRNMMC may or may not use these sites as additional distribution channels for Department of Defense information, it does not exercise editorial control over all of the information that you may find at these locations. Such hyperlinks are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.
Darnall Medical Library | Walter Reed NMMC | Building 1, Room 3458 | 8955 Wood Road | Bethesda, MD 20889 | 301-295-1184/85 | Open Monday-Friday, 0700-1630
After-hours access to the library is available to WRNMMC Staff via the CDO at 301-295-4611.