Skip to Main Content
About this list
This list is meant to assist the Internal Medicine residents select journal articles for Friday Ambulatory Journal Club sessions. These articles are merely suggestions. Therapy articles/RCTs are not included as they are typically easy to identify and obtain. If you would like additional suggestions (including fun articles!) or have questions on how to obtain articles, please contact your clinical librarian, Sarah Clarke. .
Click this link to access the Critical Appraisal Worksheets and other materials to help appraise an article.
Journal Club Article Suggestions
- Fekete T. Review: In suspected influenza, some rapid tests have high sensitivity and high specificity for detecting infection. Annals of internal medicine. 2018;168(2):Jc9.
- Balanca B, Dailler F, Boulogne S, et al. Diagnostic accuracy of quantitative EEG to detect delayed cerebral ischemia after subarachnoid hemorrhage: A preliminary study. Clinical neurophysiology : official journal of the International Federation of Clinical Neurophysiology. 2018;129(9):1926-1936.
- Andersen M, Glintborg D. Diagnosis and follow-up of type 2 diabetes in women with PCOS: a role for OGTT? European journal of endocrinology. 2018;179(3):D1-d14.
- Perrone T, Maggi A, Sgarlata C, et al. Lung ultrasound in internal medicine: A bedside help to increase accuracy in the diagnosis of dyspnea. Eur J Intern Med. 2017;46:61-65.
- Kolinsky DC, Kim AJ, Ablordeppey EA. Sub-acute Tamponade and the Value of Point-of-Care Ultrasound for Rapid Diagnosis: A Case Report. Clinical practice and cases in emergency medicine. 2017;1(3):232-237.
- Ghosh N, Kruse D, Subeh M, Lahham S, Fox JC. Comparing Point-of-care-ultrasound (POCUS) to MRI for the Diagnosis of Medial Compartment Knee Injuries. Journal of medical ultrasound. 2017;25(3):167-172.
- Dorinzi N, Pagenhardt J, Sharon M, et al. Immediate Emergency Department Diagnosis of Pyloric Stenosis with Point-of-care Ultrasound. Clinical practice and cases in emergency medicine. 2017;1(4):395-398.
- Ojeda JC, Colbert JA, Lin X, et al. Pocket-sized ultrasound as an aid to physical diagnosis for internal medicine residents: a randomized trial. J Gen Intern Med. 2015;30(2):199-206.
- Imperiale TF, Ransohoff DF, Itzkowitz SH, et al. Multitarget stool DNA testing for colorectal-cancer screening. The New England journal of medicine. 2014;370(14):1287-1297.
- Ashdown HF, D'Souza N, Karim D, Stevens RJ, Huang A, Harnden A. Pain over speed bumps in diagnosis of acute appendicitis: diagnostic accuracy study. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2012;345:e8012.
- Schroder FH, Hugosson J, Roobol MJ, et al. Screening and prostate-cancer mortality in a randomized European study. The New England journal of medicine. 2009;360(13):1320-1328.
- Schneider HG, Lam L, Lokuge A, et al. B-type natriuretic peptide testing, clinical outcomes, and health services use in emergency department patients with dyspnea: a randomized trial. Annals of internal medicine. 2009;150(6):365-371.
- Rothwell PM, Giles MF, Flossmann E, et al. A simple score (ABCD) to identify individuals at high early risk of stroke after transient ischaemic attack. Lancet (London, England). 2005;366(9479):29-36.
- Collins JF, Lieberman DA, Durbin TE, Weiss DG. Accuracy of screening for fecal occult blood on a single stool sample obtained by digital rectal examination: a comparison with recommended sampling practice. Annals of internal medicine. 2005;142(2):81-85.
- Zhou A, Taylor AE, Karhunen V, et al. Habitual coffee consumption and cognitive function: a Mendelian randomization meta-analysis in up to 415,530 participants. Scientific reports. 2018;8(1):7526.
- van Tuijl JH, van Raak EPM, van Oostenbrugge RJ, Aldenkamp AP, Rouhl RPW. The occurrence of seizures after ischemic stroke does not influence long-term mortality; a 26-year follow-up study. Journal of neurology. 2018;265(8):1780-1788.
- Seidelmann SB, Claggett B, Cheng S, et al. Dietary carbohydrate intake and mortality: a prospective cohort study and meta-analysis. The Lancet Public health. 2018.
- Ouchi K, Jambaulikar GD, Hohmann S, et al. Prognosis After Emergency Department Intubation to Inform Shared Decision-Making. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2018;66(7):1377-1381.
- Muruet W, Rudd A, Wolfe CDA, Douiri A. Long-Term Survival After Intravenous Thrombolysis for Ischemic Stroke: A Propensity Score-Matched Cohort With up to 10-Year Follow-Up. Stroke. 2018;49(3):607-613.
- Kawajiri H, Mishina H, Asano S, et al. Maximum Walking Speed at Discharge Could Be a Prognostic Factor for Vascular Events in Patients With Mild Stroke: A Cohort Study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018.
- Hu Y, Zong G, Liu G, et al. Smoking Cessation, Weight Change, Type 2 Diabetes, and Mortality. The New England journal of medicine. 2018;379(7):623-632.
- Hsieh CY, Huang HC, Wu DP, Li CY, Chiu MJ, Sung SF. Effect of Rehabilitation Intensity on Mortality Risk After Stroke. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2018;99(6):1042-1048.e1046.
- Feola M, Testa M, Ferreri C, et al. Role of Response-to-Diuretic in Predicting Prognosis in Discharged Heart Failure Patients After an Acute Decompensation. Archives of medical research. 2018.
- Raith EP, Udy AA, Bailey M, et al. Prognostic Accuracy of the SOFA Score, SIRS Criteria, and qSOFA Score for In-Hospital Mortality Among Adults With Suspected Infection Admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. Jama. 2017;317(3):290-300.
- Hofmann R, James SK, Jernberg T, et al. Oxygen Therapy in Suspected Acute Myocardial Infarction. The New England journal of medicine. 2017;377(13):1240-1249.
- Hegde SM, Claggett B, Shah AM, et al. Physical Activity and Prognosis in the TOPCAT Trial (Treatment of Preserved Cardiac Function Heart Failure With an Aldosterone Antagonist). Circulation. 2017;136(11):982-992.
- Devereaux PJ, Biccard BM, Sigamani A, et al. Association of Postoperative High-Sensitivity Troponin Levels With Myocardial Injury and 30-Day Mortality Among Patients Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery. Jama. 2017;317(16):1642-1651.
- Sanfilippo KM, Keller J, Gage BF, et al. Statins Are Associated With Reduced Mortality in Multiple Myeloma. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2016;34(33):4008-4014.
- Pokorney SD, Navar AM. In patients with MI, new-onset or existing AF increased risk for CV events at 90 days. Annals of internal medicine. 2016;164(12):Jc66.
- Shaw LJ, Giambrone AE, Blaha MJ, et al. Long-Term Prognosis After Coronary Artery Calcification Testing in Asymptomatic Patients: A Cohort Study. Annals of internal medicine. 2015;163(1):14-21.
- Fong TG, Jones RN, Marcantonio ER, et al. Adverse outcomes after hospitalization and delirium in persons with Alzheimer disease. Annals of internal medicine. 2012;156(12):848-856, w296.
- Tonelli M, Muntner P, Lloyd A, et al. Using proteinuria and estimated glomerular filtration rate to classify risk in patients with chronic kidney disease: a cohort study. Annals of internal medicine. 2011;154(1):12-21.
- Finfer S, Chittock DR, Su SY, et al. Intensive versus conventional glucose control in critically ill patients. The New England journal of medicine. 2009;360(13):1283-1297.
- Salazar-Martinez E, Willett WC, Ascherio A, et al. Coffee consumption and risk for type 2 diabetes mellitus. Annals of internal medicine. 2004;140(1):1-8.
- Larson EB, Shadlen MF, Wang L, et al. Survival after initial diagnosis of Alzheimer disease. Annals of internal medicine. 2004;140(7):501-509.
- Tribble DR, Lewandowski LR, Potter BK, et al. Osteomyelitis Risk Factors Related to Combat Trauma Open Tibia Fractures: A Case-Control Analysis. Journal of orthopaedic trauma. 2018;32(9):e344-e353.
- Stanbrook MB. In COPD, new use of long-acting bronchodilators was linked to CV events at </= 30 days, but not > 30 days. Annals of internal medicine. 2018;168(8):Jc47.
- O'Donoghue FJ, McDonald CF. In COPD, long-term use of higher doses of inhaled corticosteroids was linked to increased fracture risk. Annals of internal medicine. 2018;168(12):Jc71.
- Guzman-Limon M, Molony D. In older patients with UTIs, trimethoprim vs amoxicillin was linked to higher risk for AKI at 14 d. Annals of internal medicine. 2018;168(10):Jc58.
- Trifiro G, de Ridder M, Sultana J, et al. Use of azithromycin and risk of ventricular arrhythmia. CMAJ : Canadian Medical Association journal = journal de l'Association medicale canadienne. 2017;189(15):E560-e568.
- Sabia S, Dugravot A, Dartigues JF, et al. Physical activity, cognitive decline, and risk of dementia: 28 year follow-up of Whitehall II cohort study. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2017;357:j2709.
- Rowland K. Short-term use of oral corticosteroids was linked to increased risk for sepsis, VTE, and fractures. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;167(4):Jc20.
- Quinn T. Review: Real-world use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs is associated with acute myocardial infarction. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;167(6):Jc30.
- Quinn PD, Rickert ME, Weibull CE, et al. Association Between Maternal Smoking During Pregnancy and Severe Mental Illness in Offspring. JAMA psychiatry. 2017;74(6):589-596.
- Patorno E, Huybrechts KF, Bateman BT, et al. Lithium Use in Pregnancy and the Risk of Cardiac Malformations. The New England journal of medicine. 2017;376(23):2245-2254.
- Nielsen PB, Larsen TB, Skjoth F, Lip GY. Outcomes Associated With Resuming Warfarin Treatment After Hemorrhagic Stroke or Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage in Patients With Atrial Fibrillation. JAMA internal medicine. 2017;177(4):563-570.
- Levine M. In older adults with COPD, new opioid use was linked to increased risk for respiratory and all-cause mortality. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;166(2):Jc11.
- Kruger P, Eikelboom J. Resuming warfarin after intracranial hemorrhage in patients with AF was linked to reduced mortality. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;166(12):Jc70.
- Belknap SM. Current vs past use of NSAIDs was linked to increased risk for first HF hospitalization; risk varied by drug. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;166(4):Jc23.
- Belknap SM. In adults, benzodiazepines were not linked to increased risk for mortality at 6 mo but were linked at 12 and 48 mo. Annals of internal medicine. 2017;167(12):Jc71.
- Kutner JS, Blatchford PJ, Taylor DH, Jr., et al. Safety and benefit of discontinuing statin therapy in the setting of advanced, life-limiting illness: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA internal medicine. 2015;175(5):691-700.
- Freedman ND, Park Y, Abnet CC, Hollenbeck AR, Sinha R. Association of coffee drinking with total and cause-specific mortality. The New England journal of medicine. 2012;366(20):1891-1904.
- Schjerning Olsen AM, Fosbol EL, Lindhardsen J, et al. Duration of treatment with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and impact on risk of death and recurrent myocardial infarction in patients with prior myocardial infarction: a nationwide cohort study. Circulation. 2011;123(20):2226-2235.
- Frei P, Poulsen AH, Johansen C, Olsen JH, Steding-Jessen M, Schuz J. Use of mobile phones and risk of brain tumours: update of Danish cohort study. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2011;343:d6387.
- Batty GD, Whitley E, Kivimaki M, Tynelius P, Rasmussen F. Body mass index and attempted suicide: Cohort study of 1,133,019 Swedish men. American journal of epidemiology. 2010;172(8):890-899.
- Rugbjerg K, Ritz B, Korbo L, Martinussen N, Olsen JH. Risk of Parkinson's disease after hospital contact for head injury: population based case-control study. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2008;337:a2494.
- Wewege MA, Booth J, Parmenter BJ. Aerobic vs. resistance exercise for chronic non-specific low back pain: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of back and musculoskeletal rehabilitation. 2018.
- Tansarli GS, Mylonakis EE. Efficacy of short-course antibiotic treatments for community-acquired pneumonia in adults: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2018.
- So D, Whelan K, Rossi M, et al. Dietary fiber intervention on gut microbiota composition in healthy adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2018;107(6):965-983.
- Seidelmann SB, Claggett B, Cheng S, et al. Dietary carbohydrate intake and mortality: a prospective cohort study and meta-analysis. The Lancet Public health. 2018.
- Houghton D, Hardy T, Stewart C, et al. Systematic review assessing the effectiveness of dietary intervention on gut microbiota in adults with type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2018.
- Hines S, Steels E, Chang A, Gibbons K. Aromatherapy for treatment of postoperative nausea and vomiting. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2018;3:Cd007598.
- Feldberg J, Patel P, Farrell A, et al. A systematic review of direct oral anticoagulant use in chronic kidney disease and dialysis patients with atrial fibrillation. Nephrology, dialysis, transplantation : official publication of the European Dialysis and Transplant Association - European Renal Association. 2018.
- Eng KA, Abadeh A, Ligocki C, et al. Acute Appendicitis: A Meta-Analysis of the Diagnostic Accuracy of US, CT, and MRI as Second-Line Imaging Tests after an Initial US. Radiology. 2018;288(3):717-727.
- Dupuy O, Douzi W, Theurot D, Bosquet L, Dugue B. An Evidence-Based Approach for Choosing Post-exercise Recovery Techniques to Reduce Markers of Muscle Damage, Soreness, Fatigue, and Inflammation: A Systematic Review With Meta-Analysis. Frontiers in physiology. 2018;9:403.
- De Blaiser C, Roosen P, Willems T, Danneels L, Bossche LV, De Ridder R. Is core stability a risk factor for lower extremity injuries in an athletic population? A systematic review. Physical therapy in sport : official journal of the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports Medicine. 2018;30:48-56.
- Conforti F, Pala L, Bagnardi V, et al. Cancer immunotherapy efficacy and patients' sex: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Oncology. 2018;19(6):737-746.
- Amiri M, Ghiasvand R, Kaviani M, Forbes SC, Salehi-Abargouei A. Chocolate milk for recovery from exercise: a systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled clinical trials. European journal of clinical nutrition. 2018.
- Oczkowski SJW, Duan EH, Groen A, Warren D, Cook DJ. The Use of Bowel Protocols in Critically Ill Adult Patients: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Crit Care Med. 2017;45(7):e718-e726.
- Liu Y, Ma X, Zheng J, Jia J, Yan T. Effects of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors and angiotensin receptor blockers on cardiovascular events and residual renal function in dialysis patients: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMC nephrology. 2017;18(1):206.
- Goldenberg JZ, Yap C, Lytvyn L, et al. Probiotics for the prevention of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in adults and children. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2017;12:Cd006095.
- Eljaaly K, Alshehri S, Aljabri A, et al. Clinical failure with and without empiric atypical bacteria coverage in hospitalized adults with community-acquired pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC infectious diseases. 2017;17(1):385.
- Cabello JB, Burls A, Emparanza JI, Bayliss SE, Quinn T. Oxygen therapy for acute myocardial infarction. The Cochrane database of systematic reviews. 2016;12:Cd007160.
- Cramer H, Lauche R, Haller H, Dobos G. A systematic review and meta-analysis of yoga for low back pain. The Clinical journal of pain. 2013;29(5):450-460.
- Mihas C, Kolovou GD, Mikhailidis DP, et al. Diagnostic value of postprandial triglyceride testing in healthy subjects: a meta-analysis. Current vascular pharmacology. 2011;9(3):271-280.
- Ray KK, Seshasai SR, Erqou S, et al. Statins and all-cause mortality in high-risk primary prevention: a meta-analysis of 11 randomized controlled trials involving 65,229 participants. Archives of internal medicine. 2010;170(12):1024-1031.
- De Berardis G, Sacco M, Strippoli GF, et al. Aspirin for primary prevention of cardiovascular events in people with diabetes: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2009;339:b4531.
- Baker WL, Coleman CI, Kluger J, et al. Systematic review: comparative effectiveness of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors or angiotensin II-receptor blockers for ischemic heart disease. Annals of internal medicine. 2009;151(12):861-871.
How to access the full text articles
Some of our databases do not work with Internet Explorer, therefore, we suggest using the Firefox browser or any other modern browser.
To access articles:
- Follow the article link to PubMed.
- If we have access to full text, you will see the purple Locate@Darnall icon to the upper right of the abstract.
- Clicking on that link will try to connect you to the full-text article.
- If there is no link, or the link does not take you to the article, you can request the full text article for no charge via the "Ask the DML" link in the "Contact Us" box on the right hand side of this page.
Most of the links in our reading lists will take you to PubMed. To access the full-text articles, contact your institution's librarian for suggestions on how to best access their subscriptions via the PubMed link. For those who are unaffiliated with an institution, you have the option to purchase articles via the publisher links to the upper right of the abstract.
Contact the Darnall Medical Library (DML)
For WRNNMC Healthcare Providers
For WRNNMC Patients
- TRICARE Appointment Line: 855-227-6331
- Walter Reed NMMC Main Phone: 301-295-4611
- TRICARE Health Services (includes phone numbers)
Researching a Medical Condition?
Click the button below!
Disclaimer: The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Defense, Defense Health Agency of non-U.S. Government sites or the information, products, or services contained therein. Although the Darnall Medical Library, WRNMMC may or may not use these sites as additional distribution channels for Department of Defense information, it does not exercise editorial control over all of the information that you may find at these locations. Such hyperlinks are provided consistent with the stated purpose of this website.
Darnall Medical Library | Walter Reed NMMC | Building 1, Room 3458 | 8955 Wood Road | Bethesda, MD 20889 | 301-295-1184/85 | Open Monday-Friday, 0700-1630
After-hours access to the library is available to WRNMMC Staff via the CDO at 301-295-4611.